Winter has had its icy grip on us for the past few months, but the time has finally come to welcome the warmer seasons for another year! As always, the arrival of spring means a wonderful combination of pleasantly warm temperatures, fewer tourists and affordable hotel prices thanks to the shoulder season. So let’s take off together right now – and enjoy our top 5 spring travel destinations!
Spring Travel Destination #1: Naples
The mere mention of the word Naples sets our team’s collective mouth watering – because the Italian city is the pizza capital of the world! In the comfortable (if slightly run-down) old part of the city, you can enjoy life to the full – and never more so than in off-season, when the roads aren’t packed with crowds of tourists.
If you don’t want to succumb completely to the Italian art of dolce far niente (pleasant idleness), then there’s plenty to discover in Naples and the Amalfi Coast region as well.
Highlights of Naples
- • Explore the cistern system built by the Romans
- • Take a day trip to Pompeii, and climb Mount Vesuvius
- • Round off your day at the port promenade
Spring Travel Destination #2: Hamburg
The comfortable Hanseatic city in northern Germany has been on many traveller’s bucket lists for years now – and not without good reason. Hamburg offers a vast range of things to do, and in spring in particular, you can really feel the senses of the city returning after the long winter. It is the Nordic nature you’ll encounter in and around the city coming back to life for another year – and what could possibly be better suited to those newly blue skies than a picnic in Hirschpark, Jenischpark – or maybe even on a pedalo on the Alster canals?
Highlights of Hamburg
- • Go to one of the city’s award-winning musicals
- • Take a tour of the harbour
- • Drive through HafenCity on a quad bike
Spring Travel Destination #3: St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg is without doubt another of our favourite springtime destinations! The world’s northernmost major city comes to a standstill in the summer months, when it is swamped by endless crowds of tourists. So we recommend you do your trip in low season if possible when you can marvel at the city’s countless churches, palaces and museums, and enjoy getting a real feel for this charismatic Russian city.
Highlights of St. Petersburg
- • Admire Avtovo and Kirovsky Zavod Metro stations
- • Climb the spiral staircase at St. Isaac’s Cathedral and take in the panoramic view it offers across the city
- • Take a day trip out to Pushkin and visit the Catherine Palace
Spring Travel Destination #4: New York
Winter in New York can be super cold, and feel as if it will never end. When spring does finally make an appearance, however, the city explodes in blossom of every imaginable shape and colour. Central Park shines in this brightly-coloured new blanket of blossom, and the cherry trees in Soho, the West Village and East Village come back in all their beauty for another year. It’s also warm enough again by now to sit on the banks of the Hudson River and watch the sun setting over the fabled Manhattan skyline.
Highlights of New York
- • Marvel at the stunning architecture of Grand Central Station
- • Take the ferry to Staten Island
- • Admire the flourishing trees at Brooklyn Botanical Garden
Spring travel destination #5: Skopje
Skopje is still one of Europe’s lesser-known destinations, but the Macedonian capital has its own very special flair: wherever you go in the city, you’ll find an eclectic mix of historic and modern buildings. Skopje isn’t just perfect for an amazing city trip in spring, though; it also makes a great springboard and base for a longer trip out into Macedonia itself and the Balkan region beyond.
Highlights of Skopje
- • Take a walk through the Old Bazaar
- • Enjoy the best view of Skopje from Mount Vodno
- • Travel through time at Skopje Fortress, or Kale
Which of these destinations will you be discovering this spring? Book the flights for your trip now: